Hinds Community College Centennial

Give

Centennial Fundraising Campaign

Share

Have a favorite story from your time at Hinds? Share them with us! You can upload photos and leave comments.

100 people

View the list of 100 people passionate about Hinds Community College.

Committee Members

The HindsCC Centennial Committee

History

A timeline of HindsCC history

Years
People
Reasons
Acts of Service

History

 
Sept 1917

The Beginning

Superintendent W.N. Taylor and ten staff members greeted 117 students, began as Hinds Agricultural High School

1922

College courses offered for the first time

1926

Administrative Building

later known as Cain Hall was constructed

1926

Sophomore year curriculum added

1927

First graduating class

1930

Jud Cain becomes president

President Cain held the position until 1938

1936

Construction of gymnasium and men's dormitory begins

1938

George McClendon, "Mr. Mac", accepts role as President

He held the position until 1965

1940

Hinds began pilot training program as well as many vocational and training programs

1945

Hinds welcomed a wave of veterans empowered by the GI Bill

Enrollment grew more rapidly than buildings could comfortably serve

1947-1948

New men's and women's dorms completed along with a cafeteria, new science building and a music hall

1950

Old Science building burned to the ground leaving the women's dorm as only surviving original structures

1952

The Administration building and academic buildings opened

New construction included a science building, a new vocational complex and a women's gym

1953

The nation's third oldest precision dance team, the Hinds Hi-Steppers, found its leader in Anna Cowden Bee

1954

The Hinds football team claims a National Championship

1957-58

College enrollment exceeded 1,000 and Hinds discontinues its high school program

1965

Mr. Mac's 27 year tenure ended

He reached the mandatory state retirement age of 70

1965

Robert Mayo accepted the presidency

He led the college to a 28% enrollment increase, exceeding 2,000 for the very first time

1965-1970

Construction on Raymond Campus

included a student union building, fine arts building, math and social studies building, vocational building, men's and women's dorms, science building annex, and much more.

1970

Jackson branch opens

1975

Vicksburg branch opens

1978

Mayo retires and Dr. Clyde Muse inherits the leadership of a multi-campus institution

1982

Hinds Junior College District formed with the merger with Utica Junior College

1987

College changes name from Hinds Junior College to Hinds Community College to reflect the broad programs available at the institution

1990s

Hinds invests heavily in technology

1996

Eagle Ridge Conference Center opens

1996

Honors program established

2000s

Campus Growth

Hinds original campus of 45 acres and 4 buildings has grown to 177 buildings and 1700 acres at 6 locations

2010-Today

Workforce Partnerships

Partnerships with Continental Tire, KLLM Transport, Stribling/Empire Trucking and many others

2016
2016

Muse leads his 39th convocation

Today

HindsCC remains true to its original purpose - make education affordable for common citizens