Hinds Community College Centennial


We would like to thank the following sponsors for their contributions.

Founder's Circle $100,000 and above
Valley Services, Inc.
Vicksburg Medical Foundation
Heritage Circle $10,000 - $99,999
Community Bank
Dallas Printing, Inc.
Durrell Design Group, PLLC
Golding Barge Lines
Jackie and Kenny Granberry
Irby Investments
Magnolia Marine Transport Company
Con Maloney



H.F. McCarty, Jr. Family Foundation
Selby and Richard McRae Foundation
Merchants and Planters Bank/Ted Kendall III
Dr. Clyde Muse
Mr. and Mrs. Ben Piazza
Mr. and Mrs. Irl Dean Rhodes
RiverHills Bank
Stribling Equipment, Inc

Millennial Club $1,000 - $9,999
AT&T
Carol Banes
Sue Brooks
Brown Bottling Group, Inc.
Mr. and Mrs. David Bufkin
Howard Buford
Butler Snow LLP
Rick J. Calhoon
Commissioner Mike Chaney
City of Vicksburg
James C. Cook
Dean & Dean/Associates Architects, P.A.
Deviney Construction Company, Inc.
Mr. and Mrs. Bob A. Dunaway
Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Greg Duncan
Eley Guild Hardy Architects, PA
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Entergy
Dr. and Mrs. Ben Fatherree
Angela K. Griffin
Speaker Philip Gunn Campaign
Mr. and Mrs. Randall D. Harris
Colleen and Rick Hartfield
Mrs. Delores Henderson
HCC Raymond Campus Drafting and Design Technology
HCC Landscape Management Technology Department
HCC Raymond Campus Carpentry Technology Program
Hinds County Board of Supervisors
Drs. Barbara and Dan A. Hogan
Holmes Specialty Advertising, Inc.
Jackson Ready Mix/Delta Industries, Inc.
Dr. and Mrs. Tyrone Jackson
Lamar Advertising
Mr. and Mrs. Bobby Langston
LogoStore USA
Deputy Commander, Major Thomas Mallard
Carlo Martella
Mr. and Mrs. Randy Mascagni
May and Company
Mr. and Mrs. Michael McCarty
John McCommon
MedScreens, Inc.
Merit Health
Mrs. Dorothy Miley
Mississippi College
Joe G. Moss Family
Robert L. Mullins
Clifford L. Nelson
Rankin County Board of Supervisors
Rankin First Development Foundation
Sanderson Farms
Dr. and Mrs. Norman L. Session
Mr. and Mrs. Russell D. Shaw
Mr. and Mrs. James W. Smith
Mr. and Mrs. Buddy Sones
Mrs. Pam Reeves Sooy
Southern Insurance Group, LLC
Mr. and Mrs. Harlan Stanley
Mr. and Mrs. Larry Swales
LaCheryl W. Taylor
Terry Service Agency, Inc.
Mrs. Jessie Thrash
Townsend Press
Trustmark
William Van Devender
Mrs. Alice S. Walker
Mrs. Lee Waring
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Wasson
Mrs. Cindy West
Mr. and Mrs. Liles Williams



Give

Centennial Fundraising Campaign

Committee Members

The HindsCC Centennial Committee

100 people

100 people passionate about HindsCC

History

A timeline of HindsCC history

Years
People
Reasons
Acts of Service

History

 
Sept 1917

The Beginning

Superintendent W.N. Taylor and ten staff members greeted 117 students, began as Hinds Agricultural High School

1922

College courses offered for the first time

1926

Administrative Building

later known as Cain Hall was constructed

1926

Sophomore year curriculum added

1927

First graduating class

1930

Jud Cain becomes president

President Cain held the position until 1938

1936

Construction of gymnasium and men's dormitory begins

1938

George McClendon, "Mr. Mac", accepts role as President

He held the position until 1965

1940

Hinds began pilot training program as well as many vocational and training programs

1945

Hinds welcomed a wave of veterans empowered by the GI Bill

Enrollment grew more rapidly than buildings could comfortably serve

1947-1948

New men's and women's dorms completed along with a cafeteria, new science building and a music hall

1950

Old Science building burned to the ground leaving the women's dorm as only surviving original structures

1952

The Administration building and academic buildings opened

New construction included a science building, a new vocational complex and a women's gym

1953

The nation's third oldest precision dance team, the Hinds Hi-Steppers, found its leader in Anna Cowden Bee

1954

The Hinds football team claims a National Championship

1957-58

College enrollment exceeded 1,000 and Hinds discontinues its high school program

1965

Mr. Mac's 27 year tenure ended

He reached the mandatory state retirement age of 70

1965

Robert Mayo accepted the presidency

He led the college to a 28% enrollment increase, exceeding 2,000 for the very first time

1965-1970

Construction on Raymond Campus

included a student union building, fine arts building, math and social studies building, vocational building, men's and women's dorms, science building annex, and much more.

1970

Jackson branch opens

1975

Vicksburg branch opens

1978

Mayo retires and Dr. Clyde Muse inherits the leadership of a multi-campus institution

1982

Hinds Junior College District formed with the merger with Utica Junior College

1987

College changes name from Hinds Junior College to Hinds Community College to reflect the broad programs available at the institution

1990s

Hinds invests heavily in technology

1996

Eagle Ridge Conference Center opens

1996

Honors program established

2000s

Campus Growth

Hinds original campus of 45 acres and 4 buildings has grown to 177 buildings and 1700 acres at 6 locations

2010-Today

Workforce Partnerships

Partnerships with Continental Tire, KLLM Transport, Stribling/Empire Trucking and many others

2016
2016

Muse leads his 39th convocation

Today

HindsCC remains true to its original purpose - make education affordable for common citizens